Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wow, that was a yummy dinner!

For my first post, I thought I'd share what we had for dinner last night - slow-cooked asian pork, steamed broccoli, and rice. It's tried-and-true in our household and was a good go-to meal after a disastrous dinner the night before (note to self, you do not like chicken on the bone, no matter how good the recipe sounds.) I also love the fact that it is essentially ready as soon as we get home.

I got this recipe off the internet but failed to note from where, so if I owe you credit, just let me know!

Slow-cooked Asian Pork

2 lbs. boneless pork (just about any cut will do - I used country-style boneless ribs last night)
1/2 c. soy sauce (I'd recommend low-sodium unless you think cankles are hot)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. ketchup
1 t. ground ginger (or if you are feeling fancy, fresh ginger)
2-4 cloves minced garlic
2 T. cornstarch, optional

Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray. Lay pork in bottom. Mix other ingredients (except cornstarch) together in a small bowl. Pour over pork. Cook on low 4-5 hours or high 2-3 hours.

To thicken sauce, mix cornstarch with a small amount of water and add to slowcooker. Or pour sauce into a small sauce pan and boil until thickens slightly.

Again, I served it with steamed broccoli and rice. Sugar snap peas also go really well with it as would stir-fried veggies or any other asian-inspired side dish.

Meal Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars - easy to make, few ingredients, tasty, healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! You make that next time we come for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete