Saturday, July 17, 2010

Banana Bread French Toast Souffle

In an effort to eat some meatless meals and reduce our grocery bill, eggs and bread were on the menu. There were no complaints in my house about this one!



Banana Bread French Toast Souffle



10 cups cubed bread - I used 1/2 of a loaf of banana bread I made earlier this week and standard cheapy white sandwich bread
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup real maple syrup
6 eggs
1.5 cups milk (or cream or half-n-half - I just happened to have milk in the house)
1 t. vanilla
4 T. brown sugar, optional

Preheat the oven to 375. Butter a 9x13 pan. Do not use spray; butter makes the casserole fluff up like a souffle. Dump in bread cubes.

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and syrup. Microwave for 1 min and mix together. Pour over bread cubes.

In same bowl, mix together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour over cream cheese mixture on bread crumbs.

Let stand for 15 min. Or refrigerate as long as overnight. (If you refrigerate, be sure to let it sit out at room temp for a while before baking.)

Sprinkle brown sugar over top. This is definitely not necesary but certainly very yummy as it kind of caramelizes on top.
Bake for 30 min covered. Remove foil and bake for additional 15 min.

Serve with fresh fruit, bacon or sausage (which I realize makes it not a meatless meal, but that's ok), and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You MUST make this when I come to visit! I demand it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking more along the lines of ribs, wings, porkchops, and other boney things. ;)

    ReplyDelete